Agriculture / Coffee

10 Things You Might Not Know About Coffee

Think you know everything there is to know about coffee? A few surprising tidbits to keep the conversation flowing on your next coffee break…

  1. Coffee is grown in a whopping 50 countries around the globe. [Rainforest Alliance Certified™ coffee farms can already be found in 23 of these countries.]
  2. In a year, a single coffee tree yields just one pound of roasted, ready-to-sell coffee.
  3. All of the world’s commercially sold coffee is grown in an area known as the “bean belt” which extends from the Tropic of Cancer to the Tropic of Capricorn.
  4. Coffee drinkers are split between Robusta coffee and Arabica coffee. Some 70 percent of java fans sip on Robusta, a stronger and more bitter brew. The other 30 percent enjoy Arabica, a more mild and aromatic brew.
  5. An 8 oz. cup of standard drip coffee has two to three times more caffeine than a 1 oz. shot of espresso.
  6. During World War II, the coffee drinking habits of American servicemen inspired two names for coffee that are still popular today: Americano and Cup o’ Joe.
  7. The first coffee shop on public record dates back to the 15th century and was located in Constantinople, Turkey.
  8. Some 20 to 25 million people worldwide depend on coffee production for their livelihoods. [An estimated 835,000 people on more than 44,000 unique farms are benefitting from the Rainforest Alliance’s work in coffee, alone.]
  9. Each and every day, 1.4 billion cups of coffee – yep, you read that right! – are enjoyed around the world.
  10. Coffee hasn’t always been sipped from a mug. Originally, African tribes combined coffee berries with fat to form edible, energy-boosting morsels.

Learn more fun facts at SealYourCup.org and play our weekly trivia game on the Seal Your Cup Facebook page!

11 thoughts on “10 Things You Might Not Know About Coffee

  1. Nice Article. I Have A Nice Colombian RainForest Alliance Certified Coffee Very Nice Profile. Keep Up The Awareness ~

    BaristaOnDutY – Certified Farmer – Veteran USMC -

  2. Arabica is grown at higher altitudes and it’s trees are less plentiful then Robusta. This is the reason Arabica is also more expensive. But it is a far better bean and is used exclusively for gourmet coffee; it’s specialty grade.

  3. Is RFA certifying any coffee from Kenya and if so, I would LOVE to know who is supplying it to coffee roasters in my TC MN metro area. It is by far my favorite coffee, but I hesitate to buy non-certified coffee on principle.

    • Hi Dave — Good point, although there are a few regions (Brazil’s cerrado, for example) where something close to sun grown coffee is actually the more natural approach. All Rainforest Alliance Certified farms grow crops in a way that’s suited to their local ecosystems, which generally means more shade trees — and these provide soil, water and climate benefits while simultaneously providing habitat for wildlife.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s