With Halloween quickly approaching, it’s time to prepare for the inevitable rush of trick-or-treaters by stocking up on chocolate, adding devilish decorations to your home and choosing a creepy costume.
We’ve put together seven simple tips to help you enjoy a sustainable and spooky holiday.
- Choose chocolate made with Rainforest Alliance Certified™ cocoa for Halloween treats. Farmed on over 18 million acres of tropical land, cocoa farming supports some five million families. Unfortunately, many of these cocoa farmers live in poverty and feel pressure to cut down forests to open up fields and grow cocoa more intensively. To help support healthy farmlands, forests and wildlife habitat—as well as the well-being of farm workers and their communities—look for chocolate that features the Rainforest Alliance Certified green frog seal!
- Make demonic decorations from Rainforest Alliance/Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified paper and cardboard. FSC certified products come from well-managed forests that protect wildlife habitat as well as the rights and well-being of forest workers. You can find FSC certified items at Staples, Office Depot and Home Depot.
- Teach your kids where their favorite chocolate treats come from and how they impact people, wildlife and the planet with our suite of Halloween-friendly education resources. [Brush up on your own knowledge about cocoa farming, too.]
- Get creative with your kids’ costumes instead of purchasing generic, cheaply made outfits! There’s a good chance that you already have a number of items in your closet that can be altered (or paired with themed accents) to create the perfect Halloween costume. Can’t find anything inspiring at home? Then head to your local thrift store to find fun, funky used clothing and accessories.
- Show us your #GreenHalloween2013 costumes on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter—we’ll share our favorites with our 130,000-plus followers!
- Have your little ghosts and goblins collect candy in reusable containers. Even better, have them carry Rainforest Alliance reusable bags (your gift with a $50 donation) and they can promote our conservation work at every house they haunt!
- Make terrifyingly tasty treats with Rainforest Alliance Certified cocoa, bananas and coffee. We’ll be sharing a list of fun recipes tomorrow, so be sure to check back to get started on the Halloween fun.