Nothing tastes better on a chilly day than a warm beverage and a slice of something sweet. That’s why we’ve put together a few fabulous cold-weather recipes—courtesy of our friends at Vegetarian Times—featuring ingredients sourced from Rainforest Alliance Certified™ farms.
You can find everything you need to make these delicious dishes on Shop the Frog.
- 1 quart of water or milk
- 1 3-oz bittersweet chocolate tablet made with Rainforest Alliance Certified cocoa, coarsely chopped
- 9 Rainforest Alliance Certified cinnamon sticks
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Heat 1 cup water or milk with chocolate in saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until chocolate has melted.
- Add remaining water or milk, and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat, stir in pinch of cayenne pepper, and beat with whisk or electric mixer on low, until foamy.
- Serve in mugs garnished with cinnamon sticks.
Teatime Mulled Wine
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 Rainforest Alliance Certified orange, quartered
- 1 750-ml. bottle of Willamette Valley Vineyard red wine, sealed with FSC/Rainforest Alliance Certified cork
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Rainforest Alliance Certified cinnamon sticks
- 1 bag of chamomile tea
- Orange slices and whole cloves, for garnish
- Insert 3 cloves into skin of each orange quarter.
- Place orange quarters, wine, sugar and cinnamon sticks in large saucepan and heat until wine is steaming, but not boiling.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let steam 30 minutes.
- Steep tea in 1 cup of boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Remove tea bag and stir tea into wine mixture.
- Serve in cups garnished with orange slices pierced with cloves.
Chocolate Crusted Pumpkin Pie
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened Rainforest Alliance Certified cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 stick of butter, cubed
- 1/4 tsp Rainforest Alliance Certified vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups oven-roasted pumpkin puree or 1 15-oz can pureed pumpkin
- 1 cup dairy milk or almond mil
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground Rainforest Alliance Certified cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 6 tbs butter, melted
- Pulse flour, Rainforest Alliance Certified cocoa and confectioners’ sugar in food processor until combined.
- Add butter and process until mixture resembles sand.
- With processor running, add Rainforest Alliance Certified vanilla and 3 to 4 Tbs cold water and process until smooth dough forms.
- Chill dough for 2 hrs.
- Roll out dough to 11-inch circle on floured work surface.
- Press dough into 9-inch pie pan and chill for 30 minutes.
- Drain pumpkin in mesh strainer over bowl for 30 minutes.
- Combine dairy or almond milk, and lemon juice in bowl.
- Whisk together brown sugar, cornstarch, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, Rainforest Alliance Certified cinnamon and cloves in bowl.
- Whisk in almond milk mixture, then pumpkin and butter.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place crust on baking sheet, top with parchment paper and fill with dried beans to weigh down.
- Reduce oven heat to 350° F and bake crust for 10 minutes.
- Remove parchment and beans, and bake 5 minutes.
- Pour filling into crust and bake 25 to 30 minutes–or until filling is bubbling in center.
- Cool completely before serving.
- 1/3 cup raw cane sugar
- 4 Tbs cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 cups coconut milk or dairy milk, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp Rainforest Alliance Certified vanilla extract
- 3 very ripe Rainforest Alliance Certified bananas, sliced
- 48 vanilla wafer cookies
- Whipped topping (optional)
- Place sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan, and gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium-low heat. Cook 5 minutes, or until thickened, whisking constantly.
- Stir in vanilla, then banana slices.
- Line bottom of 11- x 7-inch baking dish with 24 cookies.
- Spread hot pudding over top, making sure bananas are submerged to prevent browning.
- Top with remaining 24 cookies, cover with plastic wrap, and cool.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Top with whipped topping (if using).